Chopsticks are the essential eating tools to many countries in Asia. Food cultures have changed and evolved because of chopsticks' existence. You may notice a lot of Chinese dishes that are prepared in bite-sized pieces, which prevent the need for a knife while eating. Many Chinese kids grow up learning to eat with chopsticks and continue to do so into their adult lives.
1. As communal utensils in a group setting - Chinese people usually sit in a round table with a giant Lazy Susan in the middle. Unlike Western cuisine, Chinese share food and serve themselves individually. To prevent germs from spreading, long pairs of chopsticks are placed with the serving dishes.
2. For cooking - Using chopsticks for cooking is quite convenient and works well depending on the dishes you are preparing. I like cooking my fried eggs with chopsticks.
3. For beating eggs - Chopsticks are my go-to for this task. They break egg yolks easily.
4. For breaking up food - If there happen to be a big piece of food that needs to be separated, I hold a chopstick in each hand and criss-cross them to break apart the piece.
5. For dancing - There is a Mongolian style dance that utilizes chopsticks as its equipment.
6. For catching a fly - This is always a challenge. There is a scene in a Kungfu movie; the character knew Kungfu so well that he could catch a fly with his chopsticks. Ha! If you could master this, please let me know, and I will make sure the world knows about you!!!
Do you know that there are also things you shouldn't do with chopsticks? Read more HERE.